Saoji chicken is very spicy and flavorful Maharashtrian dish from Nagpur. I got this recipe from one of my favorite marathi cookery show 'Aamhi Sare Khavayye'. I made some variations in this recipe to suit my taste.
See the original recipe video here - Savji chicken
Serving for - 3
Chicken - 600 gm (Cut into medium sized pieces and wash in warm water.)
Oil - 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
For making Saoji Masala
Onion - 2 (Sliced)
Cloves of garlic - 3-4 (big)
Ginger - 1 inch piece
Some cilantro (original recipe asks for 2-3 palak/spinach leaves)
Spices to dry roast
Coriander seeds - 3 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tbsp
Bay leaves - 2
Dried red chilies - 5
Cinnamon stick - 1 inch piece
Cloves - 4-5
Black peppercorns - 10-12
Green cardamom - 2
Jowar / Sorghum flour - 2 tbsp
Marinate the chicken
- Take chicken pieces in a mixing bowl. Add in oil and turmeric powder. Mix well and let it marinate for half hour.
Make the Saoji Masala
- Dry roast all spices mentioned above on low heat till nice aroma starts to come out. It will take around 5 minutes. Finally, add flour and roast for 1-2 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add sliced onion and saute till nice brown color. Let it cool down little bit.
- Add roasted spices in a blender and make a fine powder. Add in onion, garlic, ginger, cilantro and some water. Make a smooth puree. Let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Strain the puree and your saoji masala is ready.
Make the Curry
- Heat 4 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add in saoji masala and let it cook for 4-5 minutes. Now, add marinated chicken, paprika, and salt to taste. Mix well and cover the pan. Let the chicken cook for 15-20 minutes. Stir in between. Add some water to adjust the consistency as per your requirement. Let the curry simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes. Serve hot with any flat bread or plain rice.