Naan recipe (stove top method)
Ingredients All purpose flour – 1 cup + ¼ cup for dusting ½ cup of milk ¾ tsp of dry active yeast ½ tsp of sugar 1 tbsp of yogu...
- All purpose flour – 1 cup + ¼ cup for dusting
- ½ cup of milk
- ¾ tsp of dry active yeast
- ½ tsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp of yogurt
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- Salt to taste
Watch How to make Stove top naan on YouTube;
- Take half cup of milk in a bowl and microwave on high just for few seconds until it becomes little warm.
- Add 3/4 tsp of dry active yeast, ½ tsp of sugar.
- Stir and cover. Let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Sift 1 cup of all purpose flour or maida.
- Add 1 tsp of salt and 1 tbsp of yogurt. Mix well.
- After 10 minutes the yeast will turn frothy that means it is activated.
- Add the yeast milk little at a time in the flour and keep mixing until all flour comes together.
- The dough will be bit sticky but that is fine.
- Add around ½ tbsp of olive oil and knead again.
- Apply ½ tbsp of olive oil on top and spread it all over the dough to prevent it from drying out.
- Cover and let it rest in warm place for at least 2 hours. If the weather is too cold at you place, you can keep the dough in an oven. In that case before keeping the dough in oven; heat the oven for 2-3 minutes on maximum temperature and then turn off. The oven will become little warm and that will help the dough to rise well.
- After 2 hours the dough has almost tripled in size.
- Sprinkle little flour on the dough and divide it into 6 equal parts.
- Take one portion of the dough and dip into flour so that it doesn’t stick to your hand. Just stretch and fold to make a smooth ball. Keep them covered with kitchen towel so that they don’t form skin on top.
- Dust the surface with some flour and roll it with rolling pin.
- Sprinkle some kalonji or nigella seeds on you naan. (It’s optional)
- Toss it with your hands so that it elongates a little bit.
- Place it on a hot pan. Prick it on some places so that it doesn't puff form all sides.
- Roast until some brown dots appear on bottom side.
- Then place it on a wire rack so that it get’s direct heat.
- When you see such big bubbles on top, flip it to other side. To watch how to roast naan in detail, please refer to the video.
- Apply some butter and serve it hot with any gravy based dish.