Achari Gobhi / Cauliflower cooked in pickling spices
Ingredients 1 head of cauliflower (separate florets and wash them) 1 tbsp of yogurt 1 tsp of amchoor powder or dry mango po...
- 1 head of cauliflower (separate florets and wash them)
- 1 tbsp of yogurt
- 1 tsp of amchoor powder or dry mango powder
- 1 tbsp of kasoori methi
- 1 and ½ tsp of chilli flakes
- 2 red peppers (Cut into medium sized pieces) *these are mild peppers and I have added them just to add color and some flavour, adding them is optional.
- Ginger and garlic paste – 1 tsp each
- 1 onion (very finely chopped)
- Puree of 2 tomatoes
- Pinch of asafoetida or hing
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
Pickling spices to dry roast and grind
- 1 and ½ tsp of coriander seeds
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- ¾ tsp of mustard seeds
- 1 tsp of onion seeds or kalonji
- 1 tsp of fennel seeds or saunf
- ½ tsp of fenugreek seeds
Watch how to make achari gobhi on YouTube;
Achari Gobhi recipe with step-wise pictures
- Dry roast pickling spices on low heat until fragrant.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan. Once heated add ½ tsp of mustard seeds, ½ tsp of cumin seeds, pinch of asafoetida and onion.
- Sauté the onion until translucent.
- Meanwhile grind roasted spices along with red chilli flakes.
- You can use dried red chillies instead of chilli flakes. In that case dry roast them along with other spices and then grind to a coarse powder.
- Then add ginger and garlic paste and cook until raw smell from them disappears.
- Then add turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add tomato puree, salt to taste and ground spice powder.
- Mix it really well and cook until all moisture from tomatoes evaporates and oil starts to separate from the spices. Make sure to stir occasionally so that spices don’t burn.
- Once masala dries out and starts to release oil, add yogurt, amchoor powder, and red chillies.
- Then add cauliflower florets and mix well.
- Add little bit water and cook covered on a medium heat for 8-10 minutes until cauliflower is cooked.
- Finally add kasoori methi.
- Switch off the heat and serve it hot with phulka or naan.