Black Forest Cake
I made this cake for my hubby’s birthday. I made frosting at home for the very first time and it came out damn good. This time I was pretty...
I made this cake for my hubby’s birthday. I made frosting at home for the very first time and it came out damn good. This time I was pretty happy with final outcome. The cake was so moist and tasted divine. My efforts paid off when I saw my hubby loved this cake totally.
For sponge sheets
- All purpose flour – 1 and 3/4 cup
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – 3/4 cup
- Baking powder – 2 tsp
- 2 pinches of salt
- Eggs – 4 (at room temperature)
- Milk – ¾ cup
- Unsalted butter – ¾ cup / 170 gm (at room temperature)
- Granulated sugar – 1 cup
- Some cherries (for garnish)
- Icing sugar – ¾ cup
- Heavy whipping cream (having more than 30 percent butterfat content) – 2 and ½ cups
- Vanilla powder – 1 and ½ tsp
For sugar syrup
- Chilled water – ½ cup
- Icing sugar – ¼ cup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (or 190 degrees C) and grease the cake tin with little bit of butter.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder together and keep it aside.
- In a large bowl, mix butter and sugar well until it forms crumbly texture.
- Break eggs and add milk. Whisk this mixture nicely until it turns smooth and frothy.
- Now start adding little dry ingredients at a time and keep mixing.
- Mix well and pour this batter in a greased tin and bake for 35-40 minutes. Insert a tooth pick in a cake; if it comes out clean, your cake is done. Otherwise cook little longer.
- Place it on cooling rack and allow it to cool down completely. Till the time get ready with frosting and chocolate shavings.
- While making frosting make sure bowl and hand whisk or whisk attachment (if using electric whisk) are absolutely chilled. Place them in a refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
- In a chilled bowl, mix heavy whipping cream, icing sugar and vanilla powder. Whisk until mixture thickens.
- To check consistency of frosting, lift cream with any spatula; if it doesn't fall off, then it’s done. If you over whip the cream, you will have hard time spreading it on cake. So stop whipping when you see soft peaks.
- Now remove upper crust of the cake and cut into 3 even sized sheets.
- Make sugar syrup by mixing icing sugar in water. Sprinkle all over the sheets to make them little moist. You may use any other syrup you like.
- Now it’s time to assemble the cake. Take upper layer of the cake and place it inverted facing upper side down, so that you get smoother surface to work upon.
- Spread frosting evenly and make a thick layer. Place another sheet and follow the same procedure.
- When you place final sheet, spread frosting to cover all sides as well.
- Now decorate the way you like. I have thrown some chocolate shavings on sides and placed some in the middle of cake. Then I made some design with the help of piping bag. Finally place some cherries and you are done.
- Chill the cake in a refrigerator for some time before serving.