Kimchi Pancake | Kimchi Jeon | Korean Recipe
I made kimchi pancake from napa cabbage kimchi . Hubby and I loved it totally. It has become our favorite breakfast these days. This pancak...
I made kimchi pancake from napa cabbage kimchi. Hubby and I loved it totally. It has become our favorite breakfast these days. This pancake tastes more delicious if kimchi is very well fermented. So try to use old and nicely fermented, sour kimchi for making this pancake. In this recipe, my kimchi was just 3 days old, so it was not that sour. But believe me it tasted amazing.
Recipe yields 5 pancakes
- Napa Cabbage Kimchi – 1 and ¼ cup
- Kimchi Water – ½ cup (It’s nothing but the water released by fermented kimchi)
- Crispy and Savory Golden Korean pancake mix – 1 and ½ cups
- Onion – ½
- Garlic chives – 6
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Egg - 1
- Water – 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
How to make Kimchi Pancake?
- Cut the kimchi into very fine pieces and also cut the garlic chives into 2 inch pieces.
- Take pancake mix in a bowl. Add egg and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Add 1 cup of water and stir nicely until all lumps are removed.
- Add kimchi water and mix.
- Then add chopped kimchi, onion and garlic chives.
- Mix everything together and pancake batter is ready.
- Put enough oil in a pan. If you want your pancakes to be nice and crispy, you have to be generous with oil.
- Once oil is hot enough, pour two ladlefuls of batter in a circular motion and fill the centre. Use back of ladle to spread it evenly. Spreading thinly makes pancake crispier.
- Cook until edge of pancake starts to come away from the frying pan sides and turns brown. This is the perfect time to flip the pancake.
- Flip and cook from other side by pressing with spatula. When other side is also brown, your pancake is ready.
- For making dipping sauce, you will need; Soy sauce – 2 tbsp, Vinegar – 2 tbsp, Sesame oil – 1 tsp, Hot red pepper – ½ (thinly sliced), Spring onion – 1/2 (thinly sliced). Combine all together and your dipping sauce is ready.
- Serve this kimchi pancakes with Korean spicy dipping sauce. Enjoy! :)