Korean Kimbap Recipe
Kimbap is very popular Korean rice rolls made from seasoned Korean rice and variety of vegetables or meat and wrapped with seaweed paper. T...
Kimbap is very popular Korean rice rolls made from seasoned Korean rice and variety of vegetables or meat and wrapped with seaweed paper. These are best as a snack or you can make it in a big batch and carry as a picnic food.
There are so many kinds of kimbap available in Korea which differs in terms of stuffing used in it. Some commonly used vegetables and meat are cucumber, carrot, pickled radish, ham, imitation crab meat, beef, tuna, spinach etc. I have used stuffing as per my liking; you can use any vegetables or meat of your choice. They look beautiful and tastes heavenly delicious.
Recipe to make around 18 kimbap
For making Kimbap, you will need;
- Korean white rice – 1 cup
- Sesame oil – 2 tbsp
- Roasted sesame seeds – 1 and ½ tbsp
- Sheets of seaweed paper
- Cucumber – 1
- Carrot – 1
- Pickled radish – 1
- Eggs – 2
- Bamboo mat for rolling
- Black pepper powder
- Salt to taste
How to make Korean Kimbap?
- First rinse the rice under cold water and soak for 10-15 minutes. Then cook the rice and keep it aside to warm a little bit.
- Till the time get ready with your stuffing. Cut cucumber, carrot and pickled radish into equal sized strips.
- Beat 2 eggs in a bowl and add 2 pinch of salt. Heat 1 tsp of oil in a non-stick pan. Spread oil with tissue paper all over the pan. Then add egg mixture and make a thin omelette out of it.
- Take it out on cutting board and cut it into strips. Keep it aside.
- In a big bowl, add cooked rice (make sure rice is little warm). Add sesame oil and roasted sesame seed. I added salt at the time of cooking rice, so I didn't add salt later. Mix everything together well.
- Place bamboo mat on kitchen counter and arrange one sheet of seaweed paper, facing shining side down. Spread layer of rice on it as shown in picture. Then arrange vegetables and omelette strips on top of rice.
- With the help of bamboo mat, roll the sheet slowly. Apply little pressure to make it firm. Once you reach at end, put little rice grains on edge, which will act as glue and your kimbap will get perfect finish.
- Now press wrapped bamboo mat gently and the roll is ready to cut. Take a big and sharp knife to cut kimbap nicely. Apply some sesame oil on rolls and knife as well. Then cut kimbap evenly with the thickness you prefer.
- Serve immediately.You can refrigerate them if you want to serve them later.
Do give it a try and let me know how you liked it. Thank you and see you soon with next recipe! :)