Sheera Poli - Recipe with step by step pictures
To make 10 sheera poli approximately Ingredients For Dough / Outer Cover Wheat flour - 2 cups Oil - 1 tbsp Salt to tast...
To make 10 sheera poli approximately
For Dough / Outer Cover
Wheat flour - 2 cups
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
For Sheera / Sooji halwa stuffing
Sooji / rava / semolina - 1 cup
Milk - 3 cups
Ghee / Clarified butter - 1/4 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
Making of Dough / Outer Cover
- Add oil and salt in a wheat flour. Mix well and remove all the lumps. Now start kneading the dough by adding little water at a time.
- Consistency of the dough should be soft. Apply few drops of oil on top and cover it. Let it rest for half hour. (I made dough from 1 cup of wheat flour, as I wanted to make 5 sheera poli, but the stuffing is enough to make 10 sheera poli). Meanwhile make the sheera / stuffing.
Making of Sheera / Sooji Halwa / Stuffing for sheera poli
- First put the milk in a saucepan and let it boil on medium heat.
- In other pan, heat ghee/clarified butter. Keep the heat medium. Add sooji/semolina and roast until it starts to change it's color. Keep stirring continuously. It may take around 6-8 minutes. Make sure you don't burn it.
- Once the sooji is nicely roasted, start adding hot milk. Add little milk at a time and keep mixing. Make sure there are no lumps of sooji. Sooji absorbs the milk instantly.
- Add sugar and cardamom powder, mix well. Cover the pan and let it cook on low heat for 5-6 minutes. Keep stirring in between.
- Now sheera is ready. Let it cool down completely.
- Then make medium sized balls out of it. Also make balls from dough.
Making of Sheera Poli
- Take a ball of a dough and roll it like a small roti. Place the stuffing on it and seal the edges nicely.
- Dip into flour and roll it gently and evenly from all the sides.
- Transfer it on a hot griddle. Roast nicely from both sides by applying ghee/oil.
- Serve hot by applying some more ghee on top.