Golyachi Amti (Maharashtrian Besan Kofta Curry) - Recipe with step by step pictures
Serving - 3-4 Ingredients Besan / Gram flour - 1 cup (to make gola/kofta) + 1/4 cup (to make gravy) Onion - 1 (finely ch...
Serving - 3-4
Besan / Gram flour - 1 cup (to make gola/kofta) + 1/4 cup (to make gravy)
Onion - 1 (finely chopped)
Ginger-garlic and green chilies paste (4 cloves of garlic + 1/2 inch ginger piece + 3-4 green chilies, Grind them coarsely)
Dry grated coconut, sesame seeds and cumin seeds powder (Dry roast coconut, sesame seeds, and cumin seeds on low heat till coconut turn slight brown in color. Grind them to make a coarse powder)
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - 2 strands
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Grated jaggery - 1 tbsp
Tamarind paste concentrate - 1/2 tsp
Carom seeds/ ajwain - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 3 tbsp
Salt to taste
- Warm up 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add into besan (1 cup). Then add 1/2 tsp of ginger-garlic and green chilies paste, carom seeds, 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder and salt to taste. Mix well and remove all the lumps.
- Start kneading the dough by adding little water at a time. Make sure you don't make the very stiff dough, otherwise balls will become hard after cooking. It should be little stiff than besan pakora batter, so that you can make balls out of it.
- Make small balls and keep them aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, pinch of asafoetida and curry leaves. Let them crackle. Add chopped onion and ginger-garlic-green chilies paste. Saute till onion turns translucent. Meanwhile, Mix gram flour in 1 cup of water. Remove all the lumps and keep it aside.
- Then add coconut-sesame seeds-cumin powder, turmeric powder and salt to taste. Add besan batter and mix well.
- Add 4 cups of water and bring curry to boil. Now reduce the heat to medium and add jaggery, tamarind paste concentrate. Give it a quick stir.
- Then add besan balls and let them cook for 8-10 minutes on medium heat. Keep stirring in between.
- Switch off the heat and serve hot with chapati or plain rice.