Malabar Chicken Curry - Recipe with step by step pictures
Recipe Source: showmethecurry.com Serving for - 3 Ingredients Chicken - 600gm (Cut into medium sized pieces and wash un...
Recipe Source: showmethecurry.com
Serving for - 3
Chicken - 600gm (Cut into medium sized pieces and wash under warm water)
Onion (medium sized) - 1 (thinly sliced)
Tomato (big sized) - 1 (thinly sliced)
Ginger paste - 1 tbsp
Garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Green chilies - 2
Oil - 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
To make Malabar Chicken Curry Masala
Onion (big sized) - 1 (thinly sliced)
Dry grated coconut (Use fresh shredded coconut if available) - 1/3 cup
Lots of fresh curry leaves (7-8 strands)
Dried red chilies - 4
Coriander seeds - 3 tbsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Onion - 1/2 (thinly sliced)
Curry leaves - 2 strands
Oil - 1 tbsp
Pinch of salt
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add 1 sliced onion and saute till it turns slight brown in color.
- Add fresh curry leaves and saute for a minute.
- Add coriander seeds and dried red chilies and saute till nice aroma starts to come out. It may take 2-3 minutes. Finally add coconut and reduce the heat. Saute for a minute till it turns slight brown in color. Make sure you don't burn the coconut.
- Switch off the heat and transfer this mixture into a dish. Let it cool down little bit.
- Add this mixture into a blender and make a smooth paste by adding 1/3 cup of water. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add thinly sliced onion and saute till it turns translucent. Add ginger and garlic paste. Saute till raw smell from ginger-garlic goes away.
- Add tomato, green chilies, turmeric powder and salt to taste. Cook till tomato gets mashed up with onion.
- Add chicken pieces and ground masala. Mix well and cover the pan. Let the chicken cook for 8-10 minutes. Keep stirring in between.
- Add water to adjust the consistency of the curry as per your own requirement.
- Switch off the heat and serve into bowl.
- For making tadka/tempering, heat oil in a pan. Add sliced onion and saute till it turns golden brown in color. Add curry leaves and pinch of salt. Saute for a minute.
- Pour this tempering on the curry in serving bowl. Serve hot with any Indian flat bread or rice.