Spicy Fish Curry - Recipe with Step by Step Pictures
Serving for - 2-3 Ingredients Fish - 4-5 pieces (I used Hilsa fish) Tomatoes - 2 red chili powder - 1 tsp Turmeric po...
Serving for - 2-3
Fish - 4-5 pieces (I used Hilsa fish)
Tomatoes - 2
red chili powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp (optional)
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Pinch of asafoetida
Curry leaves - 12-15
Oil - 3 tbsp
salt to taste
To make Masala Paste
Onions - 2 (Sliced)
Cloves of garlic - 6
Ginger - 1 inch piece
Dry grated coconut - 2 tbsp
Sesame seeds - 1 tsp
Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Cloves - 2
Black peppercorns - 6-8
- Apply some turmeric powder and lemon juice on fish pieces and set them aside.
- Dry roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cloves, and black peppercorns on low heat till nice aroma starts to come out. Then add coconut and sesame seeds. Roast till they turn slight brown in color.
- Take it aside and heat 1 tbsp of oil in a same pan. Add sliced onion and saute till it turns slight brown in color. Then add ginger and garlic and saute for few seconds till raw smell goes away. Switch off the heat and let the mixture cool down little bit.
- Add all above roasted and fried ingredients in a blender and make a smooth paste by adding 1/2 cup of water. Keep it aside.
- Cut the tomatoes in a big cubes and add into blender. Make a smooth puree and keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, pinch of asafoetida and curry leaves. Let them splutter.
- Add masala paste and cook till all moisture evaporates.
- Then add tomato puree, red chili powder, little garam masala and salt to taste. Cover and cook till oil starts to float on top. It may take around 10 minutes. Adjust the consistency of curry by adding water as per your requirement.
- Then reduce the heat and add fish pieces. let the fish cook on low heat for about 8-10 minutes.
- Switch off the heat and serve hot with plain rice or roti.