Spicy Chicken Curry (Pressure Cooker Method) - Step by Step Recipe
Serving for - 4 Ingredients Chicken - 900 gm (Remove skin, Cut into medium sized pieces and wash into warm water.) Tomatoes (...
Serving for - 4
Chicken - 900 gm (Remove skin, Cut into medium sized pieces and wash into warm water.)
Tomatoes (Big sized) - 2
Red chili powder - 1 and 1/2 tsp
Paprika - 1 tsp
Oil - 4 tbsp
Salt to taste
For Green Paste
Onions - 3 (Sliced)
Cloves of garlic - 8-10
Ginger - 2 inch piece
Green chilies - 2
Spices to dry roast and grind
Coriander seeds - 2 tbsp
Dry grated coconut - 1/4 cup
Sesame seeds - 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 2 tsp
Cinnamon - 1.5 inch stick
Black peppercorns - 10-12
Cloves - 4
Green cardamom - 4
Bay leaves - 2
Yogurt - 1/4 cup
Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Take chicken pieces in a mixing bowl. Add yogurt, turmeric powder and lemon juice. Mix well and cover it. Let it marinate for about 30 minutes.
- Put all above ingredients mentioned under 'For Green Paste' in a blender and make a smooth paste by adding 1/2 cup of water. Keep it aside.
- Slice the tomatoes and puree them by adding 1/4 cup of water.
- Dry roast all spice mentioned under 'Spices to dry roast and grind' except coconut and sesame seeds. Roast them on a low heat till nice aroma starts to come out. Then add coconut and sesame seeds as they turn brown faster. Let them cool down little bit. Grind them to a coarse powder.
- Mix red chili powder and paprika to it.
- Now your homemade chicken masala is ready.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add onion paste (green paste) and cook till all moisture evaporates. Add salt to taste. Adding salt at this point will help onions to cook faster.
- Add tomato puree and mix well. Cook for 6-8 minutes till moisture evaporates. Keep stirring in between.
- Add ground spice powder and cook this mixture till oil starts to separate from spices. It may take around 5-6 minutes.
- Add marinated chicken and 4 cups of water. (Add less water if you want thick gravy.) Put the lid on and cook till 4-5 whistles. (Cook as per your own judgement.)
- Once the pressure goes away, take the lid off and garnish with some chopped cilantro. Serve curry hot with roti or rice.