Fish Curry in Tamarind Sauce - Step by Step Recipe
Serving for - 2-3 Recipe Source - vahrehvah.com Ingredients Fish - 4-5 pieces (I used Hilsa fish) Onions - 3 (Sliced) ...
Serving for - 2-3
Recipe Source - vahrehvah.com
Fish - 4-5 pieces (I used Hilsa fish)
Onions - 3 (Sliced)
Dry grated coconut - 1/3 cup
Sesame seeds - 2 tbsp
Cloves of garlic - 5 (finely chopped)
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Pinch of asafoetida
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
Curry leaves - 12-15
Red chili powder - 3/4 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Cumin powder - 1 tsp
Garam masala - 1 tsp
Tamarind pulp - 2 tbsp (I used 1 tsp of tamarind paste concentrate)
Oil - 3 tbsp
Chopped cilantro (for garnishing)
Salt to taste
- Apply some lemon juice and turmeric powder on fish pieces.
- Dry roast sesame seeds and coconut on low heat till they get slight brown color. Make sure you don't burn it. Take it aside.
- In same pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil and add sliced onions. Saute till onions turn slight brown in color. It may take around 6-8 minutes. Let it cool down little bit. Add into a blender along with roasted sesame seeds and coconut. Add 1/2 cup of water and make a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, pinch of asafoetida, chopped garlic and curry leaves. Let them splutter. Add ground paste and cook for a minute.
- Then add red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala and salt to taste. Cook this mixture till oil starts to separate from spices. It may take around 5-6 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water and bring it to boil. Add tamarind pulp (or tamarind paste concentrate) and mix well.
- Then reduce the heat and add fish pieces. Let the fish cook on low heat for about 10 minutes. Switch off the heat and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve hot with plain rice or roti.