Dried Green Peas Curry (Hirvya Vatanyachi Amti) - Step by Step Recipe
Serving for - 3-4 Ingredients Dried green peas (hirva vatana) - 1 and 1/4 cups Tomato (Big sized) - 1 (pureed) Red chil...
Serving for - 3-4
Dried green peas (hirva vatana) - 1 and 1/4 cups
Tomato (Big sized) - 1 (pureed)
Red chili powder - 3/4 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Cumin powder - 1 tsp
Dry mango powder - 1 tsp
Goda Masala - 3/4 tsp (You can substitute it with Garam Masala)
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 3/4 tsp
Cumin seeds - 3/4 tsp
Curry leaves - 8-10
Pinch of asafoetida
Oil - 2-3 tbsp
Salt to taste
To make Paste
Onion (medium sized) - 2
Dry grated coconut - 1/4 cup
Sesame seeds - 2 tsp
Cloves of garlic (Big) - 4-5
Ginger - 1 inch piece
- Soak dried green peas overnight in a enough water.
- Dry roast coconut and sesame seeds on low heat till they get slight brown color. Take it aside and heat 1 tbsp of oil in a same pan. Add sliced onions and saute till they get golden brown color. Then add ginger and garlic and saute till raw smell goes away. Let this mixture cool down.
- Add all above roasted ingredients along with some cilantro into a blender and make a smooth puree by adding 1/2 cup of water. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, pinch of asafoetida and curry leaves. Let them splutter.
- Add tomato puree and let it cook till some moisture evaporates. Add red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, dry mango powder, goda masala (or garam masala), turmeric powder and salt to taste. Cook till oil starts to separate from spices.
- Add soaked green peas and ground onion-coconut paste (green paste). Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of water and put the lid on. Cook the curry till 6-7 whistles (Cook as per your own judgement. Mine took 7 whistles.)
- Once the pressure goes away, take the lid off and serve curry hot with roti or plain rice.
I am so happy to receive 'Sunshine Award' from one of my lovely blogger friend Sanika @ Delectable and Delicious. Do visit her space and check out her yummy recipes. Thank you so much Sanika for this award. :)