Brinjal Curry in Tamarind Sauce / Tangy Baingan Curry (Pressure Cooker Method) - Step by Step Recipe
Serving for - 3-4 Ingredients Baingan / Brinjals - 7-8 (small sized) Onions - 2 (Sliced) Cloves of garlic (Big si...
Serving for - 3-4
Baingan / Brinjals - 7-8 (small sized)
Onions - 2 (Sliced)
Cloves of garlic (Big sized) - 4
Ginger - 1 inch piece
Curry leaves - 10-12
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Pinch of asafoetida
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Paprika - 1 tsp
Tamarind pulp - 2 tbsp (or 1 tsp of tamarind paste concentrate)
Grated Jaggery - 1 tsp
Oil - 3 tbsp
Salt to taste
To dry roast and grind
Coriander seeds - 2 tbsp
Dry grated coconut - 1/4 cup
Sesame seeds - 1 tbsp
Chana Dal - 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Dried red chilies - 5
Cloves - 2-3
Black peppercorns - 10-12
Cinnamon stick - 1.5 inch stick
Green cardamom - 2
Bay leaf - 1
- Wash the brinjals and make two partial vertical slits as shown in picture.
- Put them into water.
- Dry roast all spices mentioned above on low heat till nice aroma starts to come out. Add coconut and sesame seeds afterwards as they turn brown faster. Roasting may take around 3-4 minutes. Take it aside. Let it cool down little bit. Add into a blender and grind them to a coarse powder. Keep it aside.
- Add sliced onion, ginger, and garlic into a blender. Make a smooth paste by adding 1/4 cup of water.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, pinch of asafoetida and curry leaves. Let them splutter. Add ground onion-ginger garlic paste and salt to taste. Adding salt at this point will help onions to cook faster. Cook till moisture evaporates. Keep stirring in between.
- Add brinjals, ground spice powder, turmeric powder, 1 tsp of paprika and 2 cups of water.
- Mix well and put the lid on. Cook till just 2 whistles as brinjal takes less time to cook. Once the pressure goes away, take off the lid. Add tamarind pulp (I used 1 tsp of tamarind pulp concentrate) and grated jaggery. Allow curry to simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Switch off the heat and garnish with cilantro. Serve hot with any Indian flat bread or rice.