To make 10-11 modak
Rice flour - 1 cup
Water - 3/4 cup
Pinch of salt
Oil - 1 tsp
Fresh shredded coconut - 1 cup
Grated jaggery - 1/2 cup
cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
- Mix coconut and jaggery together. Microwave this mixture for a minutes, stirring at the interval of 30 seconds. Add cardamom powder and mix well. (You may add some roasted poppy seeds and pinch of nutmeg powder for extra flavor.)
- Boil 3/4 cup water. Add 1 tsp of oil and pinch of salt in a boiling water. Reduce the heat and pour rice flour. Keep stirring continuously till it forms dough. Switch off the heat and cover the pan. Let it rest for 5-6 minutes.
- Pour few drops of oil and knead the dough really well with wet hands. Divide the dough into 10-11 equal parts.
- Take one ball and start to pat it in such a way that it will get bowl like shape. Make sure you make the edges thin. Use few drops of water to make the task easier. Then make pleats and place a spoonful of stuffing in it. Gather all the pleats at center as shown in picture.
- Follow the same procedure and make rest of the modak. Keep them covered with wet kitchen towel.
- Boil water in vessel. Vessel should be 1/4 filled. Grease the sifter lightly with few drops of oil. Arrange all the modak on it. Place sifter on a vessel and cover it. Steam them for 6-8 minutes.
- Switch off the heat and serve modak hot with ghee.