To make 21-23 modak
All purpose flour / Maida - 1/2 cup
Semolina / Sooji - 1/4 cup
Milk - 1/4 cup
Oil - 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Dry grated coconut - 1 cup (Use fresh shredded coconut if available)
Grated jaggery - 1/3 cup
Almonds - 10 (Sliced)
Green cardamom - 6
Milk - 4 tsp
Pinch of salt
- Mix all purpose flour and semolina together. Add salt to taste.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan. Oil should be little warm. Add into flour and mix well. Remove all the lumps.
- Now start kneading the dough by adding little milk at a time. Dough should be stiff than regular chapati dough. Cover the dough with plastic wrap. Let it rest for 20-25 minutes. Meanwhile, make the filling for modak.
- Take coconut in a mixing bowl. Add grated jaggery and mix well. Microwave this mixture for a minute. Give it a quick stir.
- Add 4 tsp of milk and mix well. Again microwave this mixture for a minute.
- Finally add sliced almonds, pinch of salt and cardamom powder. Now the filling is ready.
- Take a blueberry sized ball and roll it like a thin puri. Roll it as thin as possible. If the cover is thin, modak will become more crispy.
- Place a big spoonful of filling on it. Fold the edges as shown in picture and gather them at the center. Make sure you seal it nicely.
- Follow the same steps to make rest of the modaks.
- Keep them covered with kitchen towel.
- Deep fry them nicely till they get brown color.
- Transfer them onto paper towel.
- Let them cool down completely before you serve them. Store them into a air tight container or zip lock bag.