Phodnicha Bhaat Recipe / Spicy Leftover Rice (Maharashtrian Recipe)
Serving for - 2-3 Ingredients Leftover rice - 3 cups (or cook 1 and half cups of rice in a pressure cooker till 3 whistles ...
Serving for - 2-3
Leftover rice - 3 cups (or cook 1 and half cups of rice in a pressure cooker till 3 whistles and use that fresh cooked rice for this recipe)
Onion - 1 (finely chopped)
Frozen green peas - 1/2 cup (Optional)
Green chilies - 3 (finely chopped)
Curry leaves - 10-12
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Pinch of asafoetida
Garam masala - 1/2 tsp (Optional)
Lemon juice - 1 and half tbsp
Oil - 1 and 1/2 tbsp
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, pinch of asafoetida, green chilies and curry leaves. Let them splutter.
- Add chopped onion and saute till translucent. Add turmeric powder and saute for few seconds.
- Add leftover rice and little salt. (Make sure you add little salt as we have already added salt while cooking the rice.) Mix well and reduce the heat. Keep mixing the rice gently for 3-4 minutes.
- Finally add frozen green peas and lemon juice. (Adding green peas is optional.) Give it a quick mix and switch off the heat.
- Serve hot with any rayta or pickle.