Goan Chicken Curry Recipe
Serving for - 2-3 Ingredients Chicken - 500 gm (Cut into medium sized pieces and wash into warm water.) Turmeric powder - 1/4...
Serving for - 2-3
Chicken - 500 gm (Cut into medium sized pieces and wash into warm water.)
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Tamarind pulp - 2 tbsp (or 1/2 tsp tamarind paste concentrate)
Paprika - 3/4 tsp
Oil - 2 and 1/2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Cilantro for garnishing
For Masala paste
Onion (medium sized) - 2 (Sliced)
Dry grated coconut - 1/4 cup
Cloves of garlic (big sized) - 3
Ginger - 1.5 inch piece
Spices to dry roast and grind
Coriander seeds - 2 tbsp
Dried red chilies - 5
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Sesame seeds - 1 tsp
Bay leaf - 1
Cloves - 2
Green cardamom - 2
Black peppercorns - 10-12
Cinnamon - 1.5 inch stick
- Dry roast all spices mentioned above on low heat till the time nice aroma starts to come out.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add sliced onions and saute till they get nice golden brown color. Add ginger, garlic and coconut. Saute for a minute. Switch off the heat.
- Let them cool down. First grind all roasted spices coarsely. Then add onion-coconut mixture in a blender and make a smooth puree by adding 1/2 cup of water.
- Now masala for chicken curry is ready.
- Heat 1 and half tbsp oil in a pan. Add some finely chopped onion and saute till translucent. Add chicken pieces, turmeric powder, ground masala, paprika and salt to taste. Mix well and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add 2 and half cups of water (Add less water if you want thick gravy). Cover the pan and cook for 10-15 minutes. Stir in between.
- Finally add tamarind paste concentrate and allow curry to simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Switch off the heat and garnish with cilantro. Serve hot with any Indian flat bread or rice.