Vangyache Bharit / Baingan Bharta (Maharashtrian Style)
Serving for - 2 Ingredients Large Eggplant - 1 Onion (medium) - 1 (finely chopped) Cumin seeds - 1 tsp Pinch of asafo...
Serving for - 2
Large Eggplant - 1
Onion (medium) - 1 (finely chopped)
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Pinch of asafoetida
Curry leaves - 6-8
Oil - 2 tbsp
Some cilantro - for garnishing
To make chili-garlic paste (mirchi thecha / Kharada)
Green chilies - 2(big) / 4 (small)
Cloves of garlic - 8
Salt to taste
- Make a few vertical slits on eggplant with the help of knife and apply 2-3 drops of oil on it. Preheat the oven at 450 degrees F and roast eggplant for 35-40 mins. Keep turning sides of eggplant in between. (It's better to roast eggplant on direct gas flame, it will take less time than oven.)
- Take out eggplant from oven and let it cool down. Then peel off the skin and mash the eggplant well.
- Dry roast green chilies and garlic till slight brown color. Grind them coarsely with mortar and pestle. You may make a paste using blender. Add salt to taste while grinding. keep this paste aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, pinch of asafoetida, and curry leaves. Let them crackle. Add chili-garlic paste and saute till raw smell of garlic goes away. Add chopped onion and saute till translucent.
- Now, add mashed eggplant and mix well. Cover the pan and reduce the heat. Let it cook for 6-8 minutes. Stir in between. Switch off the heat and baingan bharta is ready to serve.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with chapati.
You might also like another version of Baingan Bharta. Click here for the recipe - Baingan Bharta