Malvani Chicken Curry and Kombdi vade / Malvani Vade
Serving for -2 Ingredients Chicken - 500gm 1/2 onion - finely chopped pinch of ...
Serving for -2
Chicken - 500gm
1/2 onion - finely chopped
pinch of asafoetida
4 tsp oil
salt to taste
Cilantro for garnishing
To make coconut - onion paste
Fresh grated coconut (I used frozen coconut)
1 onion - sliced
3-4 cloves of garlic
1 inch ginger piece
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Dry roast grated coconut little bit. Grind all above ingredients to make smooth paste by adding little water.
To make Malvani Masala
2 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
5 red chilies (depends on how much spicy you want)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 black cardamom
3-4 green cardamom
1 star anise
1 mace / javetri
1 small piece of stone flower / dagadphool
Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and roast all above ingredients separately. Grind all roasted ingredients to make fine masala powder. Add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp nutmeg powder and 1/2 tsp paprika to it. Mix well and malvani masala is ready.
1 tsp lemon juice
Add above ingredients to chicken pieces and mix well. Let chicken marinate for 30-40 minutes in a refrigerator.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped onion and saute till it becomes translucent. Add pinch of asafoetida.
- Now, add marinated chicken and salt to taste. Cover the pan and let it cook for 6-8 minutes. Keep stirring in between. Now add coconut-onion paste and mix well. Let it cook for 4-5 minutes. Then add 2 cups of hot water. When curry comes to boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer on low heat for about 8-10 minutes.
- Serve hot with Malvani vade, chapati or plain rice.
Malvani Vade / Kombdi Vade
1 cup rice flour
1/2 cup urad dal - Wash and soak dal in a water overnight
1/4 cup besan / gram flour
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp red chili powder (optional)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp carom seeds (optional)
salt to taste
oil for frying
- Grind soaked urad dal to make a smooth paste by adding very little water.
- Take rice flour and besan in a mixing bowl. Add coriander powder, cumin powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, carom seeds and salt to taste. Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan and add in to mixture. Mix well and remove all lumps. Now, add ground urad dal to it and start kneading the dough. Dough should be pretty stiff. Apply few drops of oil and let the dough rest for half hour.
- Take a medium sized ball and press it evenly by fingers. Use few drops of oil and spread it in a circular shape. Deep fry them and serve hot with Malvani Chicken Curry.