Aloo Bonda / Batata vada
For making 10-12 Aaloo Bonda Ingredients: 4 potatoes 4 green chillies – finely chopped 1 onion – finely chopped ¼ ts...
For making 10-12 Aaloo Bonda
4 green chillies – finely chopped
1 onion – finely chopped
¼ tsp of turmeric powder
½ tsp of garam masala
1 tsp of lime juice
Half cup of finely chopped cilantro
Half tsp of mustard seeds
Half tsp of cumin seeds
Pinch of asafoetida
1 cup of besan/ gram flour
¼ cup rice flour
1 tsp of cumin powder
half tsp of ajwain/ carom seeds
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
- Pressure cooker the potatoes till 2 whistles. Peel off the skin and mash the potatos nicely.
- Heat up 2 tsp of oil in pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and let them crackle. Add green chillies, asafoetida, turmeric powder, salt to taste and sauté for a minute. Add mashed potatoes in it and mix well. Let it cook on medium heat for about 2-3 min. Finally add lime juice and cilantro. Once the mixture gets cool down, make medium sized balls out of it. Keep it aside.
- Take besan and rice flour in a mixing bowl. Add cumin powder, carom seeds, ¼ tsp of turmeric powder, chopped cilantro and salt to taste. Add little water and make smooth batter. Consistency of batter should be medium.
- Heat up oil in frying pan. Make sure you put enough oil for frying so that bonda will dip in it completely and fry well. Take a ball of potato stuffing and dip it in besan and rice mixture to coat it nicely. Drop this carefully in oil and fry it till it becomes light brown in colour.
- Serve hot with chutney/ ketchup or any curry. I like to serve it with spicy black chickpeas curry. You can even serve this with bread or pav.