Karanji / Gujiya
Ingredients: For making dough: 2 cup All Purpose Flour half cup Sooji / semolina 3 tsp Oil 1 cup milk pinch of Salt For st...
For making dough:
2 cup All Purpose Flour
half cup Sooji / semolina
3 tsp Oil
1 cup milk
pinch of Salt
For stuffing / Saran:
1 and half cup of dry grated coconut
2 tsp of sooji / semolina
1 and half cup powdered sugar
1/4 th tsp of cardamon powder
broken cashews and sliced almonds
Oil for frying
- Mix all purpose four and sooji in mixing bowl. Add pinch of salt and pour 3 tsp of hot oil into mixture. Start adding little milk at a time and keep kneading the dough. Consistency of dough should me medium, bit stiff than regular chapati dough. Cover the dough and let it rest for 20-25 mins.
- To make stuffing, dry roast sooji on medium heat till sooji starts to change it's color. Take it aside and add dry grated coconut into a same pan. Once coconut starts to change its color, take it aside. Mix roasted sooji and coconut into mixing bowl. Add powdered sugar, cardamon powder, broken cashew nuts and sliced almonds. Mix all ingredients well and the stuffing is ready.
- Take a small ball of dough and roll it like a thin poori. Add 1 tsp of stuffing to it and apply milk on the edges. Seal the edges well. Make a design by cutting the edges with help of shankarpali spoon. Take it aside on wax paper.
- Deep fry karanji on medium heat till the time it gets nice golden color. Fry 2-3 karanjis at a time, so that they fry nicely from both the sides.
- Once they cool down completely, store them into air tight container.
- For making layered karanji, Make 2 thin rotis from dough. Spread rice flour and ghee mixture on top of one of roti, place another roti on it and press a little bit. Again spread same mixture onto top. Make a roll out of it and cut the roll into small equal pieces. Now use those pieces for rolling. Follow same steps above for stuffing and frying. You can increase the layers to 3 if u like more layers to your karanji.